Featured Post

The great destroyer

     A little girls letter  watch the video attached to this link.   Addiction and alcoholism will come intto a family to create to...

Saturday, July 6, 2013

Baby Shower with a 1920's Twist -Decorations

Katlyn (Mommy-to-be)

Mickey (Daddy-to-be)
1920's Themed Baby Shower- The decorations.
The table scape is a mix match of antique china and serving trays.  I used candle holders and this
to make the three tier center piece and to stack the plates.
 

All these ideas came from pinterest, I just made them more like me.  I can't stand to make decorations only to toss them at the end of the day.  So I strung twine like a clothes line across the big windows,  hung baby boy clothes with clothes pins and different captions.  This one reads baby boy.
 At the end of the party I took down all the decorations and gave them to the parents-to-be.  Nothing thrown away or wasted.  The clothes are going to be needed and used.
I used left over fabric pieces to make the banner for the living room window.

Maygen and Na-nan

 
You can't see but it reads as Oh Boy! (It sounded cute for the party .  At around 4 o'clock the morning of the party, while we were putting up the final touches, we realized that  my husband's dad's "catch phrase" is ooh boy.  Cute!
I did change the idea up a little.  I put blank stationary with the envelopes.  Some guest added money with their wishes.  I was able to keep any leftover stationary to use later during the year.  Nothing wasted.

*Another great idea from pinterest.
I decided to hand write this one. 
Instead of writing on a note pad or just paper,
 I bought a journal and every 5 or so pages, I wrote a bible verse for the parents-to-be.  There is a special inscription in the front of the journal, but that part is private.
Katlyn and Mickey can use the journal to write to the baby, jot down memories of their childhood.  Write about the baby's day.  They could even leave it out for guest to write something for the baby when they come to see him.
I plan on getting one for myself so I can write down all I can remember about my childhood and family members that have gone on before me.  I want to leave this to my children and future grandchildren.  That way they might understand who Mamie (pronounced Ma  me)(my grandparent name until my little papaya decided he wants to call me something else) was and why she seemed so crazy.

 I took all of our family photos, scanned them and printed them in either sepia or black and white to give that antique touch.  I also added really old pictures of my family and mixed in some I bought at antiques stores.  I laid out baby clothes in different colors, and sizes. 
The ties added that male touch to the decorations.  I bought these at Goodwill.  Some of the men took these home as party favors since the women had special made garters.  It wasn't part of the original plan, but turned out to be a good idea.

 I bought rolls of wallpaper border from the Goodwill for 50 cents.  I used it to line the bottom of the dresser drawers.  We staggered them and stacked her presents on and in the dresser.  I bought that big wicker basket on the right at hobby lobby.  It was 80% off.  Only paid $7 for it and she was excited when I told her the basket was for the baby also.  It will make a great laundry or toy basket for him.  Notice I haven't mentioned his name?  He doesn't have one yet.  They're still working on a proper name for little papaya.  There is an app where your child or grandchild is compared to a fruit or vegitable.  I like papaya.  Today he is the size of a head of lettuce.  Really? 
Each guests was given a hand painted, personalized wine glass, mug or mason jar to take home as a special thank you for coming.  (I'll share more in another post).

I took pictures of Katlyn's and Mickey's childhood and strung them on twine across my Aunt's china hutch.  This is another pinterest idea only I didn't use just clothes pins because they were too heavy.  Instead I tied some of the pictures to the twine with ribbon. (you can see behind Lacey and Kyle)
 Lacey and Kyle

 I bought several old bottles and used them as flower vases around the house.  I bought the flowers at Hobby Lobby for 50% off.  Looks so nice I've left them out and still use them as decorations for my house.  Even in the Laundry room. 

Old wine bottles and mason jars were used as candle holders.  I keep a stash of candles for just-in-case.  In Louisiana candles are a big necessity.  we use them for lighting outside when guess come over, romantic evenings with our spouses (that part is sarcasm), and we especially need lots of candles for hurricane season.  When one hits you'll go several days, even weeks without lights.  So keep a large stash of different size candles and don't throw away any wine bottles, glass bottles, or mason jars.  You can get the candles from the dollar store.  You can get a lot of necessities from the dollar store.  Down here it's called the Dollar Tree.  Love it!

I framed several copies of this baby care tips printable I found on pinterest and placed them in several places around the house.  This reminds guests to give the parents-to-be more advice they don't want to hear.  That is until the baby arrives then they beg for it.

I'm adding the links were I found these great ideas.
For this one I drew a tree, and wrote "baby boy you are loved! You are blessed!".  Family members and guests used washable ink pads to place their thumb and or finger prints on the tree.  This was to let the parents and baby remember that we would always lend a helping hand when needed.  It also reminds them that they have roots and a tree with a strong, sturdy trunk, full of family.
 
 
I'm a water only drinker, and you need lots of cold water in Louisiana.  So I printed these on 3M designer labels and my daughter Morgan put them on all the water bottles.  I think today was the first day I went to get water and it didn't have a sticker on the bottle.  Oh, and Katlyn wanted a mustache theme.  So I blended my ideas with what she wanted.
 
Follow me on pinterest to see other great ideas I either didn't have time to make, or forgot to put out.  I'm still finding stuff that was never put out for the guess.  Like color candies.  What am I going to do with a bag of green M & M's?
 
Best tip when party planning.  Take all the ideas that you choose to use then cut that list in half.  Don't try to over do!

No comments:

Post a Comment