Featured Post

The great destroyer

     A little girls letter  watch the video attached to this link.   Addiction and alcoholism will come intto a family to create to...

Saturday, July 6, 2013

Baby Shower with a 1920's Twist

The Girls
The shower was a huge success and everyone had a great time!
The kids had a great time and dressed up!
 
Between my closet and the Goodwill store, I was able to put together several outfits for the mom-to-be, the host, and anyone else that would need to dress up.
 
We used one of the spare bedrooms to make a dressing closet for the ladies.

My daughter hung the outfits on a wood window screen we bought from an antique store.  (Forgive the plastic coat hangers.  Authentic hangers were on the list but just didn't make it into the house.)

The room had several mirrors.  These were also bought at antique stores.

We included a sitting area with different hair pieces and jewelry.  Some of the items were bought, and some were hand made.

The picture is fuzzy but the Mom-to-be had a special outfit tailored just for her.  (I was up all night the night before making sure it got finished.)
Garters were hand made to pass out the the ladies.


 
 


We went all the way with the house.
We live in a Bungalow style house, so we decided to transform our home into a 1920's Bungalow.
My husband went as far as to buy this antique sofa days before the party.

The Victrola we already had in our home.  We bought the actual records to make the Victrola appear to work.  They cost only a $1.00.  My husband and I purchased 1920's music from iTunes and rigged up a sound system inside the the Vic to make it sound like it actually was working.

The fan is very modern, but had the appearance of being older.  A Louisiana party in June, with everyone going in and out makes the use of many fans very necessary.  Even though the party was 1920's themed we still used the AC as well.

Spent months picking up little items here and there to add needed details.  I've been scouting antique stores for years.  Everything I've bought has been not expensive at all.  Even the furniture.  You just have to know where to look, when to look, and how long to wait.  If you find something you like in an antique store but its somewhat priced high, don't buy it.  Wait, visit that same store often.  When you get to know the store you can see your favorite items disappear because they were bought by someone else, or you can be patient and wait till the price is dropped.  I've waited on an antique baby bottle warmer for months.  Save myself $30.

I've always loved old pictures.  
Saw this space heater and it reminded me of my Aunt Nolia's house.  My husband added the bead board to really make our bathroom have more of a 1920's look.  Didn't change the tub, toilet or sink.  At least not yet.

 

I've had this furniture for years.  I use the brown antique dresser to house our Cd's and DVDs.

I bought this for my daughter when we first moved into the house 7 years ago.  Came in handy on decorations.

Between the items I've bought through out the years and family antiques, the house looked very authentic. 
I also searched every thrift store and antique store for plates, mason jars, serving trays, and utensils.  You can find really great deals if you don't mind your plates not matching.  If an antique store has a lonely plate, serving dish, or an incomplete set, you can end up paying $1 or less.  Complete sets of antique china can be very high in price.
 
 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment