Featured Post

The great destroyer

     A little girls letter  watch the video attached to this link.   Addiction and alcoholism will come intto a family to create to...

Sunday, May 19, 2013

Living in the present?

      Formal observations, and state testing are over and I survived.  Your told to teach a certain way, expected to do certain things in your observations for 16 years, and they flip the switch on you.
Just when you get to the point in your teaching career when you could get perfect scores on last years observation tool, you have to do a complete 180.  I'm proud of myself.  It's not easy to completely change 16 years of teaching theory in one year.  Well actually 5 months, but no biggie.  I'm not completely there yet, but I will be soon. 
    I am able to do what I do because  I had several wonderful mentors throughout the years.  I have had the blessing of working with the best teachers and they all shared so much that will stick with me always.  
   Mrs.  Hagan taught me to treat each child  with respect and to love them as your own.  She also showed me that not everyone was meant to be president or a doctor, all jobs are equally important.  What would we do without custodial staff,  maintenance, grocery store clerks, or the lady at  the drive through window  taking your order?  She said you will run into them one day and if they show up to fix the wiring in your house, or take your order in the drive through,  do you want them to remember you as the best teacher they ever had, that you believed in them, or the worst.   She is so right, a few weeks ago I went to order a hamburger and a former student was taking my order.  She remembered me and was so happy to see that I remembered her name.  (If you know me I am horrible at remembering names).  She told me I was the best teacher.  I'm sure she tells all her former teachers the same, but it was the fact that she remembered me positively that made my year.   She completely turned my entire view of this teaching year around and reminded me why I chose, why God put me in this profession in the first place.
   Mrs.  Welch taught me to "flow baby".  Education theories and practices are constantly changing.  You can choose to whine and complain or do your research and be the best until the next new thing.  Because there is and always will be something new around the corner or coming down the pike.  She said to keep focus on the fact that it is about the kids not you.  She reinforced that this is a calling by God, not a career.  
   Mrs.  Fisher taught me so much in those first six years I could write a book.  The one this that sticks with me every single day of my life, relax "use the Scarlet O'Hara  philosophy, after all tomorrow is another day."  D.  Chambliss helped me believe in myself when I thought my principal just hated me.  She taught me to not sweat the small stuff and not expect to be perfect everyday.   S. Davis showed me how to be a professional, and a lady.  To this day I can remember her saying a lady always has her toe nails painted.   I know your thinking what does  that have to do with teaching?  Your students are ALWAYS watching you,  observing even the smallest detail.  Without these three ladies, L. Hall, C. Jackson, and all the teachers at my first school I never would have made it as a teacher.  Even Mr. D who I was so sure hated me until I realized that he could have gotten rid of me at any time during those six or seven years.  He made me want to show him and the world that I would be the best teacher ever.  He gave me determination.
  I told Mrs. Brown one day, at the next school I taught, I didn't know how the brand new teachers just in their first year believed they knew it all and didn't think they needed to learn anything from me their appointed mentor.  I said I'm still learning something new everyday,  and although I'm striving to be a great teacher I knew I wasn't there yet.  She told me that was a sign of a good teacher. A good teacher is always trying to be better.  She said she had been teaching over thirty years and felt she still had a lot to learn.  What an amazing lady.
   Now I work with mostly younger teachers, most of which I am old enough to be their mother, one even calls me mom.  In the past I've learned from veteran teachers.  Those that have been there, done that.  To be completely honest, at first when all this new "governor" pushed change came into play, I was a bit stubborn about the whole compass stuff.  I felt like I was viewed as a dinosaur that was being forced into extinction.  
  The newer teachers where getting higher scores and I felt looked down upon, outdated.  I know that was just in my head, but I really took a long look at all my years of teaching.  Especially the early years, and all what those amazing ladies, and even Mr. D  taught me.  I am where God wants me to be and although I could never imagine doing anything else, I will go where he leads me.
  Our state test scores came in Friday.  I asked all my students to be patient with their teachers, because some may be a little tense because of the fact that we would learn if we had done our job and taught them well.  (They know what's going on, they and their parents watch the news, and everyone  knows our jobs and salaries depend on these scores.  
(Which for the record is evil to put that weight on their shoulders.  I don't mind being held accountable,  make me take test or anything you need me to do to show I'm an effective teacher.  Just leave my babies alone!  I know their in the sixth grade but they are still my babies.  Who puts that much pressure on a child to "perform"?)  One student asked me why does it matter, why care, just go do something else, make more money.  I couldn't help it, but as I told the class this  I started to cry; "Because we love what we do, you don't become a teacher because you hate being around kids (they all laughed at that part.  This is the part that made me start crying)  I love all of you, and there is no other place I'd rather be.  I can't even imagine doing anything else."
  But, as I said before, I will go where God sends me, or do what he wants me to.  (I'm not gonna lie, if its not teaching anymore, or at my current school that feels more like home, than home sometimes does, I know I'll cry, whine, and complain.  Eventually I'll get over it, I always do.  And accept the fact that he knows what's best for me.  He loves me.

No comments:

Post a Comment